Practice Areas > Immigration and Citizenship > Immigration Law for Business


B-1/B-2 Business or Pleasure Visitors to the United States

A citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay or an immigrant visa for permanent residence.  If a person wishes to enter the United States temporarily for business or for pleasure, they must obtain a B-1 nonimmigrant visitor visa.  If a person is entering the United States for medical treatment, they would need to obtain a B-2 nonimmigrant visitor visa

E-Visas - Treaty Traders and Treaty Investors

The E-Visa, what is it?

Allows temporary entry and a work permit to a trader or investor when a treaty exists between the U.S. and the home country of the applicant. This treaty has to be one of commerce and navigation or bilateral investment.   An E-visa can be used by either the applicant company's principals or its employees.   There are 2 types of treaty visas, the E-1 trader visa and the E-2 investment visa.

Benefits of an E-Visa

·         The period of stay can be extended almost indefinitely as long as the alien affirms that he/she will leave the U.S. when the period of authorized stay ends.

·         The alien does not need to maintain a foreign residence.

·         Spouse and children can enter on the same E-visa as the alien.

H-1B Visa for Professionals / H-2B Visa for Peak Labor /

The H1B visa category applies to aliens coming temporarily to perform services in a specialty occupation, or as a fashion model of distinguished merit and ability. H-2B visas permit business owners to hire foreign workers to perform seasonal, peak-load, intermittent, or one-time only work that is non-agricultural.

L-1 Intracompany Transferees

The L1 visa category applies to aliens who work for a company with a parent, subsidiary, branch, or affiliate in the U.S. Certain categories of this type of visa may lead to a greencard/lawful permanent residency status. These workers come to the U.S. as intracompany transferees who are coming to perform services either in a managerial or executive capacity or which entail specialized knowledge for a parent, branch, subsidiary or affiliate of the same employer that employed the professional abroad.

H-3 Company Trainee

The H-3 category applies to an alien coming temporarily to receive training from an employer in any field other than graduate education or training.

TN Professional Visas Under NAFTA

The TN visa category "Professionals Under the North American Free Trade Agreement" is available only to citizens of Mexico and Canada. Under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) a citizen of a NAFTA country may work in a professional occupation in another NAFTA country provided that 1) the profession is on the NAFTA list, 2) the alien possesses the specific criteria for that profession, 3) the prospective position requires someone in that professional capacity and 4) the alien is going to work for a U.S. employer. The spouse and unmarried, minor children of the principal alien are entitled to the derivative status, but they are unable to accept employment in the United States. Aliens entering under this classification are considered non-immigrants.